When I first switched to a plant based diet, I remember thinking, “There is no way I can give up chocolate desserts!”. Chocolate is one of life’s greatest pleasures. You know how they call dogs ‘Man’s Best Friend’? I feel like chocolate is ‘Woman’s Best Friend’ (don’t worry- I love my dog too). Chocolate is always there, it can pick you up when you are feeling sad, it will always bring a smile to your face, it doesn’t talk back or leave clothes on the floor, and in its purest form- it actually has some health benefits.
I developed these chocolate brownies to have a few of my other favorite flavors– orange, and espresso. These two additions bring out the delicate flavors of the chocolate. If you don’t care for the flavor of orange, you can easily leave it out, but I would leave the espresso in since you can’t really taste it, and it really enhances the flavor of the chocolate.
I have made these with orange essential oil as well as freshly squeezed orange juice. Both are fabulous. The recipe calls for 1/2 c. of freshly squeezed orange juice, but if you have orange essential oil, just eliminate the orange juice and zest, and add 1/2 tsp orange essential oil. You will also need to increase the amount of water 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach a smooth consistency with the batter.
These brownies are to be enjoyed anytime, anywhere. Girlfriend, if you want to make these all for yourself and sit on the couch while eating them straight out of the pan, I am not going to judge you (mostly because I have done this). Guys, you will totally love these too, but probably not as much as us women, I’m not sure why, it just is.
Serve with Coconut Ice Cream or Coconut Whipped Cream.
May these chocolate treats make your day!
Vegan, Gluten Free Chocolate Brownies
- 1 c. Gluten Free Flour
- 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 c. Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 3/4 c. Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Instant Espresso
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Flaxseed Meal
- 1/2 c. Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 Orange Zest, and Juice
- 1/2 c. + 2 1/2 Tbsp. Water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make "Flaxseed Egg"- in small bowl, mix 1 tbsp. of ground flaxseed meal, and 2 1/2 tbsp. of water. Stir well. Set aside to let thicken.
- In large bowl mix all dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and instant espresso.
- In separate medium size bowl, mix all wet ingredients: vegetable oil, flaxseed egg, vanilla extract, juice and zest from 1 orange, 1/2 c. water.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well to combine. If batter is too dry, add more water 1 tbsp. at a time until it has a smooth consistency.
- Pour batter into a greased pan. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes for 9x13, or 30-40 minutes for 8x8.
- Serve with coconut whipped cream or coconut milk ice cream. Enjoy!