Since I switched to a plant based diet, there are two questions I get asked fairly consistently: 1) Where do you get your protein?– which I will address in another blog post, and 2) What do you eat for breakfast? On a typical morning, I eat oatmeal with chia seeds for breakfast. It’s quick, filling, and full of protein. I have taken quite a bit of creative license with my oatmeal preparation so as to avoid eating the same thing every day, however even with tremendous variation, oatmeal day after day can become a bit monotonous. So I decided to play around with the idea of a ‘tofu scramble’, and it turned out to be a fantastic way to start the day.
It is also worth mentioning that 1 large egg may have around 6 g of protein, and 3.5 oz of tofu has around 8 g of protein. So for those that are trying to start their day with a protein packed meal- this is a great way to do so!
You could make a tofu scramble with any of your favorite flavors, mine just happens to be flavors of “Southwest” cuisine. You could easily make this dish into a filling for a breakfast burrito as well.
Tofu Veggie Scramble
- 7 oz. Firm Tofu Half of a Typical Block
- 3/4 c. Canned Black Beans
- 1/2 c. Onions Diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Jalapeno *Optional Sliced
- 1/3 c. Grape Tomatoes Rough Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Taco Seasoning I usually have some taco seasoning pre-made on hand, but store bought is completely fine as well.
- Remove tofu from package, cut in half. You can save the other half in a plastic bag with some of the liquid.
- By hand, squeeze out excess moisture from tofu, but don't push so hard that it crushes the tofu. Place two layers of paper towels on a plate, place the tofu on top of the paper towels, then add another layer of paper towels on top. Push on the top to force out any extra liquid from the tofu. Place a cookbook or other heavy kitchen item on top of the tofu to continue to force out the excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, chop the onions, green bell pepper, jalapeno, and tomatoes.
- Heat a medium size frying pan over med/high heat. Add 1 to 2 tbsp of water.
- Add the onion and peppers to the pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the tofu by breaking it apart with your hands as you add it to the pan. You want it to have the size and texture of scrambled eggs.
- Add the black beans, tomatoes, and taco seasoning. Mix to combine.
- Cook over med/high heat for another 5-6 minutes or until most of the liquid in the pan is absorbed. Serve immediately.Enjoy!